Online Childbirth Classes are on the rise in popularity, and rightly so. After all, what better way to learn about labor and delivery than from the comfort of your home using some of the best online childbirth classes available today.
In this article, we will be talking all about some of the best and popular online childbirth classes, and we will break them all down in detail so that you can pick the best option for you and your baby.
Each prenatal class (depending on which you choose) will teach you all you need to know about going through labor, delivery, and even postpartum and newborn care, with ease and confidence.
Why take an Online Childbirth Class?
As a nurse by trade, most of the prenatal classes I took were, well… in my birth hospital. Looking in retrospect, I can’t tell you how much I wish I had the online resources available today at my disposal.
With everything I know today about the birthing process and the many incredible resources that have been created over the last few years to help moms take control of their birthing process and their bodies, I would have made many different choices.
Why do you ask? Well…
Time. Online childbirth classes save you an immense amount of time! No need to work around your (and your partner’s) schedule because the content is accessible to you at all times.
Convenience. I don’t know about you, but I much rather learn all the childbirth process, techniques, and strategies sitting next to my husband, in my pajamas, in my bed… than in a hospital classroom. You also have the convenience of having the learning material at hand which allows you to go at your own pace.
Access to the material for the length of your pregnancy. With prenatal hospital classes, you will be presented the information in a 1-2 hour span as a one-time event. Chances are that by the time you give birth 80% of that information is no longer fresh in your mind. Online Childbirth courses however, you will have access to all of the material from the moment of purchase until you have your baby. This means you can pause, rewind, replay, and re-watch as many times as you need to.
Access to ongoing support and answers to your questions. One of my favorite things about some of these courses is that they offer ongoing support for the length of your pregnancy. Mama Natural Birth Course, for instance, has a Private Facebook Group for their students where you will receive ongoing support from your instructors and fellow moms-to-be who are also enrolled in the course.
Online Child Birth Class vs Hospital Prenatal Classes
Besides most of the reasons already mentioned, it is important to note that most (not all) hospital prenatal classes are geared more towards the birthing process as it relates to medicine and their intervention.
After all, studies show that over 32% of deliveries in the USA are done by C-Sections. (source)
Nothing against C-sections thought! They should, in fact, be used as an alternate method depending on multiple factors or as a life-saving intervention. However, when possible, we should be given the option and the tools to prepare our bodies and mind to do what it was created to do… deliver or babies.
A Childbirth Class, on the other hand, focuses more on women and their natural ability to be able to power through their own birth by providing them with proven techniques to do so.
So, in essence, opting for a really good “out-of-hospital” birth course may help you avoid becoming one of today’s statistics.
What Type of Childbirth Classes are included in this List?
There are many different types of birthing courses out there. They all come with their own philosophy, time commitment, and expense.
For that reason, I have opted for the best and most popular Online Childbirth Classes created and taught by fellow nurses, Lamaze Instructors, and doulas.
I have broken the courses down in detail so that you can find the one that fits you (and your partner) best… your personality, your goals, and your learning style.
Here, you will find:
- Natural Childbirth Class (Home and Birth Center)
- Natural Hospital Birth Class (Hospital Setting)
- Prenatal Classes for Couples (Any Setting)
Note: Don’t let the words “Natural Childbirth” fool you, some of these courses also discuss things like epidurals, medical interventions, and c-sections if you were to encounter those scenarios.
They will be broken down into the following sections:
- Course Overview
- Who is This Childbirth Course For?
- Best Features
- Course Length
- Course Content Overview
Childbirth classes may be eligible for reimbursement with a flexible spending account (FSA), health savings account (HSA), or a health reimbursement arrangement (HRA). Especially, courses 1, 2, 3 in this list. So, if you opt for one of those 3 courses, save the receipt as you will need it if you qualify for reimbursement. So, check with your health insurance.
Also, because of Covid-19 all of the following courses are currently being discounted.
Alright, let’s take a look…
Best Online Childbirth Classes
* This post contains affiliate links. Click here for more info.
1. Mama Natural Childbirth Class
Mama Natural Birth Course is currently the #1 Online Childbirth Course available. It is a comprehensive online course designed to equip your mind, body, and spirit to help you achieve the birth you have always envisioned.
It is designed to educate, inspire, and empower moms and partners to deliver naturally.
Who is it for?
Mama Natural Birthing Course is for women who are looking to have a natural birth.
It is good for moms-to-be or even second times mom looking for a more natural experience this time around.
Whether you have your heart set on a water birth in your living room or a gentler and more natural hospital delivery, Mama Natural will equip you with everything you need to know.
It also has a Bonus Module on vaginal births after a C-Section (VBACS).
- Mama Natural is currently the #1 bestselling online childbirth class.
- It contains Course Modules on postpartum, newborn days, and breastfeeding.
- They also have a Private Facebook Group for students offering continuous support and a community. Students have 24/7 access to both course instructors.
- The payment invoice contains all the information you need to submit to your FSA or HSA for reimbursement.
- They donate 10% of all profits to midwifery projects in the developing world.
It features 12 hours of video content, online, on-demand.
They come divided into 8 classes total giving students the ability to take one class per week, or to binge-watch the whole course in over a weekend.
Course Content Overview:
- Class 1: Overview and reality check
- Class 2: Preparing your mind, body, and spirit
- Class 3: Your support team
- Class 4: Early and active labor
- Class 5: Transition and pushing
- Class 6: Birth and the “third stage” of labor
- Class 7: Unexpected stuff (and how to handle it)
- Class 8: Aftercare for baby, mama, and breastfeeding
- BONUS: Vaginal Birth After Cesarean (VBAC)
- BONUS: Breastfeeding Master Class
- MORE BONUSES: Weekly practice sessions to prepare your body and mind for childbirth, segments on nutrition, and natural remedies for common pregnancy complaints.
The Mama Natural Birth Course is hosted Genevieve, a mom of 3 and Maura Winkler, a certified nurse-midwife, a registered nurse (RN), a doula, a breastfeeding counselor, and a placenta encapsulator.
2. KOPA Prepared Natural Birthing Classes
Kopa Prepared Natural Birthing Classes have combines their knowledge to bring you the most current, evidence-based education for a healthy pregnancy and natural childbirth. Kopa Childbirth Classes specialize in helping couples have a natural birth in a hospital setting.
Their curriculum focuses on teaching moms to be (and their partners) coping techniques, positions of comfort for labor, hospital interventions, and much more.
Who is this for?
Kopa Prepared Natural Birthing Classes are an amazing resource for women who are looking to have a natural hospital birth.
Whether you are a new mom to be or are giving birth again but looking for a different and more natural birthing experience in a hospital setting, these classes are exactly what you are looking for.
Kopa Prepared Natural Birthing Classes are for you if:
- You want a simple, natural birth in a hospital, free of unnecessary medical procedures.
- Want to make choices during labor, confident that your doctor and nurses will honor your preferences.
- You want the freedom to move and give birth in the position that feels best to you, without restrictive policies or rules.
- Private Kopa® Members Facebook Group.
- Offers TWO-course versions giving you the flexibility to pick the one that is best for you.
- Access to the course instructor by email for any questions you might have.
- The payment invoice contains all the information you need to submit to your FSA or HSA for reimbursement.
- 30-day money-back guarantee.
It contains 12+ hours of course material and 8 comprehensive video classes.
Course Content Overview
The Kopa Prepared Classes offers TWO versions of the course and you can check them out in full detail here:
Here is a content overview for KOPA Prepared Essentials:
- Class 1: A foundation of relaxation
- Class 2: The birth process and early labor
- Class 3: Patterned breathing and active labor
- Class 4: Labor Positions and sensory techniques
- Class 5: Transitions and the pushing phase
- Class 6: Medication, C-Sections, and Labor Induction
- Class 7: Benefits and Risks of hospital-based interventions
- Class 8: Birth Plans and the mock labor experience
The KOPA Prepared Plus version includes everything mentioned above (KOPA Essentials), plus:
- Extended 7-month online access period for review and skills practice
- Kopa Meal Plans
- Relaxation Triggers Class
- Prenatal Fitness: Fitness Instruction & Workouts for Each Trimester
- Newborn Babywearing Basics Class
- 3 Partner Labor Guides
- “Affirmations for Labor” Audio Tracks
- “Touch Relaxation” Audio Tracks
The KOPA Prepared Natural Online Birthing Classes/Course was created by Katie Griffin, a Registered Nurse turned Lamaze Certified Childbirth Educator. She’s given birth 6 times (5 of them were natural hospital births).
Katie has also helped prepare over a thousand couples for their own, empowering, natural hospital birth.
3. The Online Prenatal Class for Couples
The Prenatal Class for Couples is another great alternative for women looking to learn all about the labor and delivery process from the comfort of their home.
The Prenatal Class for Couples covers the full transition of hospital birth and walks you through the labor delivery phase, postpartum, and early newborn days.
It walks you through the whole process of having a hospital birth so that you are prepared and know what to expect when the time comes.
Who is it for?
The Online Prenatal Class was crafted specifically for couples to help them simplify the labor process so you can have a more relaxed pregnancy, birth, and postpartum time.
- Offers THREE versions (Basic, Online Course, Deluxe Online Course)
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- Receipt of the class might be used as reimbursement to your FSA or HSA
The eBook contains over 60 pages, the online course has over 11 lessons.
They offer THREE versions of the course and you can check them out in full detail here:
- The Basic Version
- The Online Prenatal Class for Couples Course
- The Prenatal Class for Couples Full Deluxe Course
All versions contain information about:
- What to come to the hospital for
- Counting Contractions
- How to know if you’re in labor
- L&D Routines/Inductions
- Equipment in L&D
- Pain Management in the Hospital Setting
- Delivery Time
- Five Best Tips for Labor & Delivery
- First Few Days
- First Few Months
- Natural Pain Management
- Newborn Care
This course is taught by Hilary who has been a labor and delivery nurse since 2001 and has taught hundreds of expecting couples. She is also the mom of 3 children.
4. Birth it Up
The Birth it Up Series created by Mommy Labor Nurse (Liesel Teen) is a set of courses that cater to all different types of birth preferences. Depending on which Course Series you choose (Natural Birth Series or Epidural Series), Liesel walks through the entire process through video lessons.
Who is This Childbirth Course For?
The Birth it Up Series is perfect for all types of moms as it teaches all types of birth plans.
Whether you want a natural birth, are set on an epidural, or are having a scheduled c-section one of these series will meet your needs.
- These series are really affordable (get an additional 10% OFF when you use the code: LOVELYMOMHOOD)
- They have a Private Facebook Group for Students
- All courses come with a downloadble PDF version
- Satisfaction Guarantee Policy
Birth it Up: Natural Series has 9+ hours of video content, plus other written content.
Birth it Up Epidural Series has 5+ hours of video content, plus other written content.
Course Content Overview
* Section are comprised if 2-7 lessons
- Section 1: Welcome
- Section 2: My Story
- Section 3: Research and Prep
- Section 4: Anatomy and Physiology
- Section 5: Hospital Tips
- Section 6: Pain Control
- Section 7: The Mentality of Going Natural
- Section 8: Pushing
- Section 9: After Delivery
- Section 10: Special Circumstances
- BONUS: Liesel’s Ultimate Guide to Labor and Delivery
- BONUS: 74-page PDF download of the course material
- BONUS: Access to Private Facebook Group
These series mimic the Natural Series in content structure but the material itself caters more to the epidural process.
Liesel Teen is the creator and instructor of the Birth it Up series. She is a labor and delivery nurse and mom to a sweet little boy! She is also the founder of Mommy Labor Nurse. She’s been practicing as an L&D nurse for 7 years, and she has helped hundreds, if not THOUSANDS of women through their births!
* Remember, get 10% OFF with code: LOVELYMOMHOOD
5. Supporting Her Online Class
Supporting Her covers all of the aspects of spousal roles including before, during, and after birth. It teaches tips, techniques and actionable skills to help partners take care of themselves and moms-to-be during labor and birth.
Supporting Her is an easy way to learn all they need to know, at their own pace, in less than two hours from their computer or phone. They can pass on the boring books and all-day classes and be confidently ready for the big day with this one online class.
Who is this course for?
This particular online class was created especially for dads to be.
It might often seem as though the birthing process is all about mom and baby, but dads and partners have a vital role to play on any successful birth team.
There is so much valuable information in this course for dads-to-be!
- It is mainly for dads.
- This course is also available through a phone app which makes it super handy and convenient for dads on the go.
Two hours of video content plus written material.
Here is a little sneak peek of the of Supporting Her curriculum:
- Labor Room (videos)
- Physical Support (video)
- Verbal Support (video)
- The game plan (handout)
- Partner Packing List (handout)
- and MUCH more!
The class was created by expert birth educator and doula Alice Turner. With more than 13 years of experience as a doula and 7 as a Lamaze certified childbirth educator, Alice has supported more than 200 births and knows the power of a prepared partner.
Complimentary Prenatal Courses
Alongside these aforementioned courses to help prepare you for childbirth, it is worth to mention Milkology!
Learning about breastfeeding in a more intimate and paced environment is a wonderful thing. Online breastfeeding courses allow you to watch the material at your own pace, with the ability to pause and replay from the comfort of your home.
Milkology has one of the best and most affordable Online Breastfeeding Classes today.
They are taught by Stacey Stewart, Certified Lactation Educator through CAPPA, a mom of 3 and the founder of Milkology.
Milkology’s features THREE classes and they include…
★ THE ULTIMATE BREASTFEEDING CLASS
The Ultimate Breastfeeding Class is a simple step-by-step program that covers everything you need to know in 13 easy-to-watch lessons.
It focuses on:
- The benefits of breastfeeding
- Understanding the process
- Learning the techniques
- Knowing what to expect
- Finding Support and Getting Prepared
- And more…
★ THE ULTIMATE EXCLUSIVELY PUMPING CLASS
The Ultimate Exclusively Pumping Masterclass is a simple step-by-step program that covers everything you need to know in 11 easy-to-watch lessons. Trust me, If you will be exclusively pumping you will need all of the tips and tricks you can get and this course focuses exclusively on teaching you all you need to know to exclusively, and successfully pump.
>> View Course, here <<
★ THE ULTIMATE BACK TO WORK PUMPING CLASS
Last, but definitely not least is The Ultimate Back to Work Pumping class navigates you through how to pump effectively along with other important information.
You will learn how to:
- Choose the right pump
- Learn to pump like a pro
- Make plenty of milk
- Plan your return to work
- Preparing for success
- Plus bonus material
SO, IN SUMMARY
- Mama Natural Online Childbirth Course: Home or Birth Center Birth
- Kopa Prepared Birth Classes: Natural/Medicated Hospital Birth
- The Online Prenatal Course for Couples: Hospital Birth for Couples
- Supporting Her: Just for Dads
- Birth it Up Series: Natural, Hospital, Epidural
- Milkology: All aspects of Breastfeeding
★ Related Articles:
- What to Expect During a Hospital Vaginal Birth (Step-by-Step)
- 17 Important Things to do Before the Baby Arrives
- The Complete Hospital Bag Checklist for Baby, Mom, and Dad
- A Postpartum Care Plan for Faster Healing After a Vaginal Birth
- The Ultimate DIY Postpartum Care Kit (Natural and N0n-Toxic)
- What to Wear After Giving Birth at the Hospital (Head to Toe)
I know this was a lot of info, but I also know how much I wish I could have had all of these incredible resources available and broken down for me like this when I was pregnant with my children.
As beautiful as a journey as pregnancy and childbirth can be, it can also be a time for a lot of anxiety and overwhelm.
It is my hope that with this list I have been able to help you sort out the Online Childbirth Course that will help you achieve the birth of your dreams.
I want you to know that I feel incredibly honored to be able to be a part of your beautiful journey.
Please don’t hesitate to ask any questions or simply stop by to say hello. You can do so in the comment section below or directly at firstname.lastname@example.org.
What Online Childbirth Course do you think would meet your needs for your dream birth?